Buildings & Grounds
An Authentic 19th Century Streetscape
Explore The Village grounds and buildings of yesteryear and immerse yourself in the past.
Bring the family for a fun day exploring an authentic 19th Century Streetscape including a bank, police station, cottage, barber, saddlery, stable, church, railway station, school, shearing shed and more. Browse the list of building below.
Mitchell Cottage 1899
Pit sawn timber construction typical of the period. Moved to this site in 1970. Mr Ern Mitchell was renown for his road work around Richmond and Wilberforce, and other heavy tasks employing his skills with his bullock team.
Bank of Australiasia c.1920s
This building has been set up as an example of a small bank branch typical of the mid 1800’s courtesy of the ANZ Bank. Come and visit to see historical cash registers and other antique bank items.
Riverstone Police Station 1888
This building was in continuous use as the Police Station Office at Riverstone from 1888 till 1970’s. Come and get locked up in an antique cell.
Perry House 1856
The first building to be moved intact to The Village from Richmond in 1969, it started life as a Saddlery with residence, thence a Tailoring business (Alfred Perry), a Saddlery again, a “House of Shady Ladies”, and finally a grocery store.
Farm Machinery Shed
Situated behind Perry House, these sheds contain antique and vintage equipment, and horse and engine powered vehicles.
Case Cottage 1896
Built of pit sawn Ironbark timber in the drop slab style by Herbert Case. Once a month, the centre inside wall of the cottage would be removed and the building became a dance hall for the local folk.
Cartwright Cottage 1870
Built by Alfred Case for John and Julia Cartwright. Classic example of early slab construction. Fireplace is slab lined with iron. The original roof would have been bark. Note the calico ceiling lining.
Atkins Blacksmith Shop 1862
The Blacksmith workshop was originally sited in Wilberforce and operated by 3 generations of Atkins. The Village ‘Smithy’ works here on Sundays. A George Atkins Single Furrow Plough is displayed above the building.
Stable of the Blackhorse Inn Prior 1860
Part of the famous Blackhorse Inn (1819 – 1927) in Richmond. It is an unusual building construction, due to the shortage of nails they relied on mortice and tenon joints with wooden dowels. Adjoining the stables is the “jockeys room”, where jockeys would spend their time before races to prevent outside interference.
The Smelting Shed
Built to house the Village pewter processing display.
Bowd’s Sulky Shed 1874
Originally situation on the adjoining property and constructed by Edward Bowd. It is now the “Damper Camp” which serves freshly baked Damper & Scones.
Last remaining slab hut in Pennant Hills. Built by William Aiken near Smith’s Sawmill at the low end of Aikens Road. Pioneer Farmers built slab huts with earthen floors. Walls were lined with newspapers after the cracks between the slabs had been filled with clay daub or hession.
St Matthews Church c.1890s
Originally sited at Upper MacDonald River Valley. The Church played an important role in the pioneer’s life, a place to worship, to socialise, and to hear the colony news.
A four roomed weatherboard farm cottage from Freemans Reach built in mid to late 1800s with a flood door in the loft. Includes a museum and Heritage Cinema.
1912 Flood Boat
This 10m boat serviced Freemans Reach from 1912 and would have been responsible for saving many lives during its service. The floodboat was restored and presented by Richmond Rotary Club.
Kurrajong Railway Goods Station 1926
Transported to The Village following the closure of the Richmond – Kurrajong branch line in 1952.
Constructed on site in the style of the 1800’s, it contains wool classing table, hand operated wool press, and Cooper’s hand shearing equipment.
Village Souvenir and Information Centre
This building is a remnant of the TV series “Wild Boys”. It was the Gazette Newspaper office in the series.
Mangold Cottage 1886
Built by Gottleib Mangold for his family in Garfield Road, Riverstone and occupied by his family for 100 years. Fine example of Ironbark slab construction.
Kenso Cottage 1890
The home of Jack Griffiths – dentist to the area. Built in Kogarah and moved in sections to Freemans Reach in 1950. Now the pottery, Lolly and Craft store for our village.
The Bee House 1879
Formerly on Windsor Road at McGraths Hill, it was an outlet for honey and products labelled Box Gum and Salvation Jane. Salvation Jane is the weed now known as Patersons Curse.
North Sackville Post Office c.1890
The postmaster lived in one end of the building and conducted post office business in the other. The bedroom is lined with hession bags washed with cement.
Riverstone General Store 1890
Was originally a general store in Riverstone. Was used as a fruit and vegetable store by the Blair family from 1929 till it’s closure in 1959.
The Oxboro Inn
Typical of an inn of the era portrayed by The Village. Lunches etc are served here.
Constructed of stringy bark, smoking uses hardwood timbers and was a means of preserving fish, ham, mutton and chicken.
Marsden Park Public School 1889
Built as a standard small school, opened with an enrolment of 10 students, by first years end had an enrolment of 48. Houses a small collection from bygone years.
Constructed for the 100 mile endurance race. The race was conducted for 10 years until the roads became too busy. Mr RM Williams was a regular contestant. The Stables house the Village coach, carriage and wagon display.
Salters Barn 1860
A fine example of an early constructed barn, it is one of the few remaining barns in the area. Barns were used for farm storage, this barn is still in use for storing wagons, tools and livestock feed.
Rose Cottage circa 1811
Built by Thomas Rose and his family from split Ironbark timber in 1811, Rose Cottage stands on it’s original site adjacent to The Australiana Pioneer Village (previously Rose Farm).
The Rose family arrived in the colony in 1793. They were the first free settler family. Thomas Rose made substantial contributions to the colony with his knowledge of farming. The cottage was occupied by the Rose family, father to son, for 150 years. This is the longest period of time that a single family has occupied a dwelling.
A gold coin donation is required to view Rose Cottage with all proceeds going to the Rose Family Trust.